Since 2007, the Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) has occupied a black glassy cube on the corner of 15th and Delgany and offered a space where audiences can engage in a dialogue about the art of our time. Contemporary artwork can sometimes be challenging to view and understand, but don’t be shy, the staff at the museum are friendly, the lively MCA events will help you overcome any art museum anxiety you may have and the rooftop cafe/bar is a sweet reward at the end of your tour through the galleries.
5 Reasons to Love the MCA:
- Innovative programming. The MCA offers a variety of programs from happy hours that showcase local food and drink purveyors to tag-team lectures on completely unrelated topics (the Mixed Taste series), to art appreciation workshops (Art Fitness) to unique opportunities to hear from contemporary artists during artist talks. There is something for everyone and before long, you’re going to want to attend everything.
- Thought-provoking exhibits. MCA’s mission is to be “an innovative forum for contemporary art that inspires and challenges all audiences” and in keeping with this vision, the museum seeks to host exhibitions that contribute to the field of contemporary art. Certainly the most recent exhibitions, Mark Mothersbaugh: Myopia and Marilyn Minter: Pretty/Dirty, which were both coordinated by the MCA and partner institutions, are excellent examples.
- Rooftop terrace. The MCA’s rooftop café and bar is one of our favorite refuges in the city. The cafe offers coffee drinks, pastries, sweet treats, cheese plates, pizza, wine, beer and cocktails–and a great view of the city. Throughout the year, the MCA café hosts live music performances, guest bartenders, food events and quirky gatherings where guests might make their own alien-themed terrariums to take home.
- Abundant opportunities for teens. MCA offers some of the most extensive, engaging and empowering programming for teens of any Denver museum. For starters, the MCA was the first Denver museum to make admission for those under 18 free ever single day of the year. The MCA’s signature teen program, Failure Lab, offers teens the chance to take on leadership roles and schedule, create and coordinate events for other teens. Ongoing throughout the year are free Teen Drop In Nights on Fridays when teens can learn from artists and creators while hanging out with other teens and sipping hot chocolate.
- Great parties. What makes an MCA party exceptional? The creative, unpredictable activities, unusual themes and the fun-loving crowd. If the MCA is hosting an opening or closing party, buy your ticket without hesitation. You are going to have so much fun and meet the coolest people while standing in the cocktail line.
MCA website: mcadenver.org
MCA address: 1485 Delany St, Denver, CO 80202
MCA hours: TUE – THU: 12p – 7p; FRI: 12p – 9p; SAT & SUN: 10a – 5p