- This event has passed.
FREE Night at the Museums
November 8, 2014 @ 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
One of the best nights of the year!! Free admission to Denver’s best museums and they’re all open late! Museum hop with the help of free shuttles (downloadable shuttle map PDF from Denver Arts Week website) and explore Denver’s cultural scene until 10pm! Check out this list of participating museums and plan your night:
BLACK AMERICAN WEST MUSEUM
Experience history through re-enactors and video presentations.
BYERS-EVANS HOUSE MUSEUM
Explore one of the city’s most historic landmarks with free tours by expert guides sharing stories of life in the early 1900s.
The CELL is an interactive museum dedicated to preventing terrorism through education, empowerment and engagement.
CHILDREN’S MUSEUM OF DENVER
Dedicated to helping children learn through play, the Children’s Museum of Denver features interactive exhibits, daily activities and special events. (Adults must be accompanied by children at all Children’s Museum events.)
CLYFFORD STILL MUSEUM
Discover the latest Clyfford Still Museum exhibition, The War Begins, examining Still’s journey through the years of World War II.
DENVER ART MUSEUM
See the DAM’s newest exhibit, Matisse and Friends!
DENVER FIREFIGHTERS MUSEUM
Explore firefighting history.
DENVER MUSEUM OF NATURE & SCIENCE
Check out the wonderful new exhibit, Whales: Giants of the Deep, as well as permanent exhibits.
FORNEY MUSEUM OF TRANSPORTATION
Enjoy a diverse collection of antique cars, locomotives, buggies, bicycles, motorcycles and more.
HISTORY COLORADO CENTER
Haven’t been to the “new” Colorado History Museum, then make sure to visit tonight! This place is incredibly interactive and the current special exhibit, RACE: Are We So Different?, is thoughtful and compelling.
KIRKLAND MUSEUM OF FINE & DECORATIVE ART
IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Children under the age of 13 are not admitted to this museum due to the fact that it’s a “salon style” museum (meaning it feels more like you’re walking through someone’s house than through a glass-encased set of exhibits). If everyone in your group is old enough, this is a gem of a museum featuring works by Kirkland as well as decorative arts pieces.
MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART DENVER
New exhibit at the MCA: Mark Mothersbaugh: Myopia. This exhibition includes documentation and music from his DEVO days, prints, paintings, video animations and more.
MOLLY BROWN HOUSE MUSEUM
At the Molly Brown House Museum, “Rock the Vote” with suffragettes of the past and movers and shakers of today in the celebration of the triumph of women.
NIGHT AT THE MUSEUMS IN GOLDEN*
- American Mountaineering Museum: Hang out in a port-a-ledge, jump a crevasse, or find your route up to Everest.
- Astor House: Enjoy costumed guides, taste pickled watermelon and play a game to see how you would do as a boarding housekeeper.
- Colorado School of Mines Geology Museum: Discover amazing crystals, fossils, ultraviolet minerals, meteorites and moon rocks!
- Dinosaur Ridge: Take the Trek Through Time and enjoy hands-on activities like fossil sifting and dinosaur track painting.
- Golden History Center: See the new exhibit Girls to Cowboys: The Art of Selling Coors.
- Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum: Experience Wishes through Our Hands: Japanese Quilts, featuring quilts created in response to the 2011 tsunami.
*Free transportation shuttles are not available to the Golden Museums.
MORE METRO AREA MUSEUMS OPEN FOR NIGHT AT THE MUSEUMS
- Four Mile Historic Park: Special activities for a fun evening at Four Mile Historic Park.
- Littleton Museum: Experience this Living History Farm of the 1860s costumed historical interpreters.
- Mizel Museum: See 4,000 Year Road Trip: Gathering Sparks, exhibition celebrating Jewish history and culture.
- Museum of Outdoor Arts: Don’t miss this solo exhibition featuring the sculptural installations of Colorado artist Scott Johnson.
*Free transportation shuttles are not available to Four Mile Historic Park, Littleton Museum, the Mizel Museum or the Museum of Outdoor Art.
Denver Arts Week Website: http://www.denver.org/denver-arts-week/programs/nightatthemuseum/